Saturday, March 26, 2011

Georgia cup crit

It feels like wherever I race, I am always outnumbered; whether it be in collegiate against Marian with their team of 12 riders, or racing locally in STL against dogfish, and today doing a 10 man race with 3 guys being from the Areo Cat pro team. It is hard to explain the disadvantage of being out numbered in a bike race cycling is a unique sport. A team can launch attack with one rider, forcing me to chase that rider while another rider sits in my draft staying fresh, then launching another attack once I catch their first rider that attacked. This can go on for a long time, and even the strongest of riders can be cracked.

Today's race was a pretty rare occasion, there was a pretty decent prize list on the flier. Maybe it was the rain, and cold weather the Georgia racing scene isn't used to. Only 10 riders showed up for the pro race, 3 of them being from the Areo cat team; I only knew one Emile Abraham. One looked like he was straight from columbia; I doubt he spoke english. The race started pretty slowly, I followed some attacks, and made some pretty big bridge efforts. Maybe I showed my cards to the race too early, but my legs were the best they have been all year.

After a while Areo Cat started pulling some weird moves, I would follow one of their riders attacks. Get away for a lap or two only to be chased down by the other two areo cat riders. Eventually, after this happened 4 or 5 times, they let 2 riders go up the road. I followed an attack by one of areo cat riders, only to be chased down by the areo cat team again. Emile must have noticed I was hurting a bit, so he launched an attack, and no one responded. I made a move in a spot I thought I could bridge up to him, but it didn't work, and I got counter attacked by one of the other areo cat riders.

So long story short, 4 guys up the road; 2 areo cat. I got 5th, I'm really getting tired of this lazy team tactic racing. I have been a quiet guy so far this year, but I was by far the fastest guy in the race today period end of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment